Holiday Party Quiz:
Prepare for a Healthier Holiday
with Elaine Hastings, RD
- Which appetizer contains the least amount of fat?
- Three stuffed mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of cheese ball with nuts
- Three pizza rolls
- Which cookie has the most calories?
- One medium gingerbread man
- One medium butterscotch chip cookie
- 2″ square lemon bar
- Which cocktail has the least calories?
- A rum and Coke®
- A whiskey sour
- A martini
- Which candy has the least fat?
- 2-cubic-inch square of chocolate fudge
- One fudge-dipped Oreo®
- One medium-piece peanut brittle
- Which meat has the most fat?
- 3 ounces (oz) boneless ham (lean and fat eaten)
- 3 oz boneless duck (skin eaten)
- 3 oz boneless cooked chicken leg (skin eaten)
- Which starch has the most sodium?
- ½ cup (C) homemade bread stuffing
- ½ C homemade mashed potatoes
- One dinner roll
- Which warm beverage has the least calories?
- 1 C hot chocolate made with whole milk
- 1 C apple cider
- 1 C eggnog made with whole milk
- Which of the following contains the most sugar?
- One piece of fruit cake
- One pecan roll
- 2″ square frosted brownie
- c. The pizza rolls contain 6 grams (g) fat, the stuffed mushrooms contain 11 g, and the cheese ball contains 10 g.
- c. The lemon bar contains 143 calories, the gingerbread man contains 64 calories, and the butterscotch chip cookie contains 50 calories.
- b. The whiskey sour contains 123 calories, the martini contains 160 calories, and the rum and Coke contains 154 calories.
- c. The peanut brittle contains 2 g fat, and the fudge and the fudge-dipped Oreo contain 5 g each.
- b The duck contains 15 g fat, the ham contains 6 g, and the chicken leg contains 12 g.
- a. The stuffing contains 542 milligrams (mg) of sodium, the mashed potatoes contain 266 mg, and the dinner roll contains 134 mg.
- b. The apple cider has 117 calories, the hot chocolate contains 190 calories, and the eggnog contains 343 calories.
- a. The fruit cake contains 34 g of sugar, the pecan roll contains 13 g, and the frosted brownie contains 15 g.